Re: uscan roadmap

Quoting Gard Spreemann (2021-12-02 13:09:17)

> Jonas Smedegaard <jonas@jones.dk> writes:
>
> > Quoting Gard Spreemann (2021-12-02 12:31:30)

> >> I very much agree. I don't understand the logic of tying upstream
> >> checking to a particular version of a source package. The fact that
> >> some version of a package once upon a time could locate and
> >> download new upstream versions using a particular recipe is of no
> >> use if said recipe becomes outdated at any later time.
> >>
> >> It makes a lot more sense to provide this service in a way that
> >> allows it to be modified/updated/improved/fixed with no regards to
> >> the actual packages that may use it. That could be as simple as a
> >> uscan service with watch files that can be individually and
> >> independently modified.
> >
> > I find it helpful for our packages to include information about
> > where and how (at the time of its release) that package was
> > monitoring for upstream releases.  It helps working decentralized -
> > both for preparing packages for Debian and for working on
> > Debian-derived packages, both without needing access to somewhere
> > central for this "watch" information.
>
> Would it make sense for a package to contain a snapshot of the
> relevant metadata in the hypothetical "centralized-and-often-updated
> watch service" at the time in enters into the archives?

Not _instead_ of current location: What I find helpful is to have the
watch file available with the source package.  I am unaware if there
would be some benefit of _additionally_ embedding the watch file in
binary packages (if that's what you meant).

> > Therefore I like the proposal to have Debian project scanners
> > aggressively look for _newest_ watch file for a packaging project,
> > including looking up declared Vcs-* hints for not-yet-released work.
>
> Indeed, that sounds like a better idea than what I suggest above!

Not sure if you noticed, but (since I won't steal credit) I basically
emphasized Pabs' suggestion in last paragraph of what you previously
quoted:

Quoting Paul Wise (2021-12-02 00:47:44)
> Alternatively, perhaps we could workaround outdated debian/watch files
> by having vcswatch extract debian/watch files from the repo specified
> in the Vcs-* URLs.

 - Jonas