Re: uscan roadmap

Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> writes:

> I also wonder if it is time to split debian/watch out of Debian source
> packages, since upstream download locations generally change
> independently of the Debian package and so information about upstream
> download locations probably should be maintained independently.

I very much agree. I don't understand the logic of tying upstream
checking to a particular version of a source package. The fact that some
version of a package once upon a time could locate and download new
upstream versions using a particular recipe is of no use if said recipe
becomes outdated at any later time.

It makes a lot more sense to provide this service in a way that allows
it to be modified/updated/improved/fixed with no regards to the actual
packages that may use it. That could be as simple as a uscan service
with watch files that can be individually and independently modified.

 Best,
 Gard