Re: uscan roadmap

On Wed, 2021-12-01 at 09:11 +0100, Yadd wrote:

> after few discussions with some devscripts maintainers, we decided to
> build a new "version=5" format for debian/watch.

It might be a idea to look at how other distributions do checking for
new upstream releases and adopt some of their improvements.

I note Fedora uses a service (that isn't Fedora specific) for this:

https://release-monitoring.org
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/package-maintainers/Upstream_Release_Monitoring/

Another idea would be to use the Repology service to notice when other
distros include a newer version of a package than Debian does.

https://repology.org/

I also wonder if it is time to split debian/watch out of Debian source
packages, since upstream download locations generally change
independently of the Debian package and so information about upstream
download locations probably should be maintained independently.

Alternatively, perhaps we could workaround outdated debian/watch files
by having vcswatch extract debian/watch files from the repo specified
in the Vcs-* URLs.

--
bye,
pabs