Re: Require packages to build without any configured DNS

Quoting Mattia Rizzolo (2021-09-14 15:34:36)
> On Tue, Sep 14, 2021 at 10:05:01AM +0200, Johannes Schauer Marin Rodrigues wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Quoting Mattia Rizzolo (2021-09-06 16:39:39)
> > > As the pbuilder maintainer, I've been asked to make it serve a non-working
> > > /etc/resolv.conf just to make that bug above moot, so I'm quite biased on the
> > > matter myself :)
> >
> > sbuild already disables network access for all chroot backends that support it.
>
> As several people already stated, this is *not* about network access.

Yes, I mention it for context.

> > Schroot, the default chroot backend, currently doesn't allow this. See
> > #802849.
>
> Likewise pbuilder, yes.
>
> > The only chroot backend that allows disabling the network is the unshare
> > backend. It does so, by unsharing the network namespace, only bringing up the
> > loopback interface and writing an empty /etc/resolv.conf.
>
> So you ship an *empty* /etc/resolv.conf?  Then I suppose you also can't build
> packages using dnspython in their tests with your configuration?

Correct. This currently fails:

sbuild -d unstable --chroot-mode=unshare python-oslo.rootwrap

The error message is the same as for the package mentioned in #989171, namely:

https://tests.reproducible-builds.org/debian/rb-pkg/bullseye/amd64/python-oslo.rootwrap.html

This is why I'm writing about sbuild. I wonder if it's a bug for sbuild to
write out an empty /etc/resolv.conf.

Thanks!

cheers, josch