Re: merged-/usr vs. partially-symlink-farmed-root

On Sun, 2021-08-22 at 11:08 +0200, Ansgar wrote:
> Hi Guillem,
>
> On Sun, 2021-08-22 at 00:11 +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
> > There was talk about the huge amount of symlinks required in a
> > symlink
> > farm setting, but that might have been true for a scenario where
> > those
> > symlinks would have been handled automatically and transparently.
>
> To get a filesystem layout equivalent to merged-/usr via symlinks
> farming *every* package shipping files in at least /usr/bin,
> /usr/sbin
> and possibly some of /usr/lib would need to include symlinks in /bin,
> /sbin, /lib.  This would affect far more packages than updating the
> packages currently shipping files in /bin, /sbin and /lib* to ship
> these under /usr instead.
>
> Note that on a merged-/usr system it is fine, and will be fine
> forever,
> to use /bin/python3 instead of /usr/bin/python3.
>
> If this is not done, the layouts are even more different. So they
> should be named differently to avoid people confusing them as minor
> variants of the same: maybe merged-/usr and partially-symlink-farmed-
> root (as not all compatibility symlinks exist).
>
> > The huge majority of files under /lib* (which is the actual bulk of
> > them)
> > should require no symlink farms. Many of the ones under /bin and
> > /sbin
> > (we are talking about around 240 packages here) might be switchable
> > w/o
> > compat symlinks after careful consideration (or not…), many of the
> > ones
> > that require symlinks would need these just for a period of time,
>
> Removing any symlink will cause software to break.
>
> There was recently one such instance with `run-parts` getting moved
> /usr/bin. Is your proposal to repeat this for every binary in /bin
> and
> /sbin (except possibly some selected ones) at one point in time?
> There seems no realistic way to find/fix all software affected by
> this
> beforehand, especially software outside of Debian. What is your
> proposal to handle this?
>
> Note that this breakage only happens with your newly proposed
> partially-symlink-farmed-root filesystem layout that you propose
> instead of merged-/usr.
>
> >  and
> > only a handful would remain (the ones that are part of standard
> > interfaces, which I'd expect would be mostly shells?). I think the
> > amount
> > of symlinks currently provided by f.ex. lvm2 and e2fsprogs combined
> > would
> > amount to more symlinks than what we would eventually end up with
> > TBH.
>
> So your proposal is to adopt a partially-symlink-farmed-root layout
> and
> never switch to merged-/usr? Sure, in that case SuSE failing to move
> [...]

Indeed it seems a strange claim to make - new users and new machines do
exist. And for non-user deployments (cloud, servers) installations are
common workflow too. Do we have statistics to show the number of
downloads of Debian images for Buster and Bullseye? I tried (briefly)
looking, but couldn't find any. I assume Canonical does not divulge
these numbers for business reasons, but happy to be disproven on that.

--
Kind regards,
Luca Boccassi