Re: testing for rootfs vs. /usr reproducibility regressions

Hi Tim,

On Fri, Aug 20, 2021 at 05:29:54PM -0400, Timothy M Butterworth wrote:
> I have a new-be question, what is the point of merged-usr?

I put "debian merged-usr" into my favourite search engine and the
first result was:

    https://wiki.debian.org/UsrMerge

Does this page and those linked from it answer your question
sufficiently as to what the point of the effort is?

The link near to the bottom:

    http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/TheCaseForTheUsrMerge

is quite informative.

If you read those and it still isn't clear, it might be best to ask
about it on debian-user, as debian-devel would really be for Debian
Developers (who are mostly up to speed on this already to varying
degrees) to decide about *how* to do it, not the basics of *why* or if
it even *should* be done.

It has been the default for some time for new installs and the
tech-ctte already decided that it will be the only supported
configuration for the next release after bookworm. At this point
rehashing the whys of it would be repeating conversations had over
the last several years, so I feel like it's a user documentation
issue at this point if that's necessary.

Cheers,
Andy