Re: testing for rootfs vs. /usr reproducibility regressions

On Fri, 20 Aug 2021 at 07:26:51 +0200, Helmut Grohne wrote:
> The options you present to work around this sound plausible to me, but
> they do complicate the transition plan somewhat. In essence, we'll get
> two transition points. One for non-buildds and another for them.

Maybe that, but what I was suggesting most recently was one transition
point for everything except reproducible-builds.org (and maybe other QA
infra), and one for reproducible-builds.org (and maybe other QA infra).

If we have reproducible-builds.org reporting merged-/usr vs. split-/usr
variation bugs like #949270, and we have fixed all known instances of
that variation, then it becomes a lot more viable to let buildd chroots
migrate to merged-/usr alongside end-user systems, because at that
point it no longer matters whether buildd chroots are merged-/usr or not
(and reproducible-builds.org would tell us about regressions that make
it matter again).

    smcv