Re: merged /usr vs. symlink farms

On Fri, 20 Aug 2021 at 09:56, Theodore Ts'o <tytso@mit.edu> wrote:
P.S.  I had a vague memory that there was some update in the long
distant past where we did require a manual upgrade of dpkg first.  Or
is my memory playing tricks on me?  I do know that a manual update of
dpkg is the first step in a crossgrade....
There was an instance of this. I cannot remember if it was the libc4/a.out or something to do with libstdc but it was library-related and a bit of a pain for end-users.

In any case, it was not an ideal situation or something we should aim for.

 - Craig