Re: A summary of where I think we are on the technical side of the merged /usr discussion

Hi,

On 8/18/21 12:21 AM, Luca Boccassi wrote:

On Tue, 17 Aug 2021 at 20:17, Simon Richter <sjr@debian.org> wrote:

I agree that it's likely the only thing we can do with the version of
dpkg that we ship now, and that will have to handle the upgrade for any
users that move from one stable release to the next provided there is no
project consensus to deviate from "apt dist-upgrade" as the preferred
method of upgrading to the next release.

That is the case only if the plan is to deprecate support for
external/third-party repositories/packages, since there's no way to do
the required per-package work on those, and this strategy can only
work (and that's a non-trivial assumption already, given so far it has
a 100% failure rate) if every single package that will ever be
installed on every single system is updated individually.

My expectation would be that there are rather few third-party packages installing files into the directories we want to clear out, and we have two years in which we can tell people to get these packages updated.

Also the "unsupportable" statement is kinda hard to reconcile with the
reality of this being default on Ubuntu for 2+ years, which uses the
very same dpkg. It would be very useful to have someone from Canonical
comment on what problems are there in reality? Launchpad shows only 2
bugs, which appears to be both corner cases:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/usrmerge

That is why I wrote "provided there is no project consensus to deviate from "apt dist-upgrade" as the preferred method of upgrading to the next release." This is what Ubuntu did.

We can repeat that, which will anger a lot of users.

   Simon