Re: merged /usr considered harmful (was Re: Bits from the Technical Committee)

Hi,

On 2021-07-20 10:07 p.m., Brian Thompson wrote:
> On Tue, 2021-07-20 at 21:13 -0400, Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside
> wrote:
>> Ended up with a 3 month useless discussion regarding if this would
>> give
>> a bad impression, that we need to use node for doing development.
>> Later on I was working on a plugin that treated huge amount of data.
>> So
>> I introduced Vue.JS, again a three month discussion with people
>> saying
>> it's a overhead, even after explaining that you can't always do
>> server
>> side processing and serve all the data at a time. Even if people
>> didn't
>> understand a word about the global concept and the system as a whole,
>> they halted the project.
>> So I just let go my participation.
>> Now 4 years later, they are integrating Vue.JS and Node doing code
>> validation while development.
>>
>> One of the main reason some people don't want to invest time in FOSS
>> project is exactly because of that type of toxic situation that make
>> everyone look like crazy nut head.
>
> I find it pretty crazy that you think FOSS is toxic, when in reality
> the only toxic thing about this situation was when you labeled a
> discussion as "useless".  They didn't want to use your technology stack
> four years ago.  Now they do.  Throwing a temper tantrum when you don't
> get your way isn't doing anyone else any favors.

You either cherrypicked or only took what you wanted in what I said.

So I'll do it again...

I was asked by one of the project manager to implement a new plugin that
would allow some machine learning and data processing (using chart with
plotly.js using database on a CMS).
To do so efficiently, I had to use some type of client side processing
and decided to use Vue.JS.

This didn't change nothing for anyone except me.

But all the developers started saying it wasn't good because it would
project the idea that we need to use Node to do development (false) or
that Vue.JS is needed for the CMS (false).

Most of the person talking about this were people who didn't have a clue
what they were talking about. Mostly people doing translation for text
string, HTML/CSS front end themes and such. Most of the time, when we
talked about PHP they would say "that they ain't developer".

For you information, I didn't throw a tamper tantrum, I simply felt that
my time would be better invested somewhere I could use my time in a
positive manner.

Having to explain that "It's not because there's a package.json file
that you'll need Node ecosystem. As there's already a .gitla-ci.yml and
you don't need to have a Gitlab runner on your PC to do development".
Having to explain that sending all the data at one time, when processing
thousands of record is not a possibility if you want to have a system
that can be scaled up. And much more...
This is time consuming and doesn't help much going a project forward.

It wasn't a technology stack that I've chosen but the one that was
requested by the project manager who paid me. But I had to deal with
those questions on the mailing list.

And I did get tired so went somewhere else...

So we we're in front of people that (like many) had a opinion but didn't
have much to support it.

I don't know many business we're we pass more time discussing about
solution than implementing them. Unless, I got it wrong, and FOSS
project are some type of IT consultant box ?

I come from health science and we do stuff, don't smoke butterfly powder
thinking about what would be the best in a ideal world. I don't think
about what's the best solution for a ideal world.

And if I was running Windows for the computer used for medical purpose
in my office, there was one reason : I didn't have nothing that made if
efficient for me to go Linux. All the advantage were overwhelmed by the
time consuming of process changing, staff training or simply because no
such solution existed.

If all the time wasted in fork was used to making project grow better
then it'd be long ago that we wouldn't see as many Windows.

> P.S. You may be the biggest hippocrit in these mailing lists.

You don't have a clue who I am...
So let me put you in the box where it says "I talk about what I don't
know and think I'm soooo great".

--
Polyna-Maude R.-Summerside