Re: merged /usr considered harmful (was Re: Bits from the Technical Committee)

On Mon, 2021-07-19 at 16:41:42 +0200, Johannes Schauer Marin Rodrigues wrote:
> So what what is actually the roadmap after the bullseye release? What is the
> way forward? Should I rather file bugs with patches against individual packages
> to move their files from /(sbin|bin|lib)/ to /usr/(sbin|bin|lib)/ or do we
> already have a debhelper patch to do that move for us?

Unfortunately, when the supporters of the merged-/usr-via-aliased-dirs
pushed their approach into the distribution, that meant that package
stopped being able to ship compatibility symlinks under «/», and those
needed to be "handled" in maintscripts (by reimplementing poorly and
unsafely what dpkg is supposed to do). This means dpkg is not in the
loop and cannot perform a safe upgrade moving these pathnames safely,
as long as merged-/usr-via-aliased-dirs is supported.

This is all kinds of nasty, because a proposal that has a complete
disregard for the packaging system, and is founded on assumptions
about features that do not even exist, is also forcing that design
breakage into a solution that would otherwise require no such hacks.
:(

> This would mean that we only have to bear with the problems mentioned by
> guillem until that move is complete, correct?

No. Even if today we magically could get all .debs shipping object
place, the problems I've mentioned would pretty much be in place.

Regards,
Guillem