Re: merged /usr considered harmful (was Re: Bits from the Technical Committee)

On Tue, 2021-07-20 at 15:34 -0400, Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2021-07-20 3:30 p.m., Marc Haber wrote:
> > On Tue, 20 Jul 2021 14:47:04 +0200, Svante Signell
> > <svante.signell@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > According to the dpkg developer and maintainer Guillem users can
> > > still rescue their systems from merged-/usr-via-aliased-dirs with
> > > the aid of dpkg-fsys-usrunmess(8), see
> > > https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Dpkg/FAQ#Q:_Does_dpkg_support_merged-.2Fusr-via-aliased-dirs.3F
> >
> > The naming of the utility alone gives me the impression that we
> > have a dpkg maintainer who has gone to war with the rest of the
> > distribution. I am not sure whether Debian should accept that.
> >
> I think that the option "usrunmess" says pretty much the state of
> mind regarding the person who named it this way.
>
> Something like "usrunmerge" would be more realistic.

It is really stunning that the Debian project, including the TC
overrides the dpkg developer and maintainer Guillem, and still using
dpkg for package management. Maybe Debian should switch to some other
software, like rpm-based used by Fedora or even guix used by GNU?? Or
perhaps the Debian project should come to senses with the force of
things upon users and developers/maintainers without their approval
(consensus-free)?

Debian, the Universal Operating System was used some years ago!