Re: merged /usr considered harmful (was Re: Bits from the Technical Committee)

On Jul 19, Marc Haber <mh+debian-devel@zugschlus.de> wrote:

> I am NOT looking forward having to manually convert legacy systems to
> merged /usr and I do sincerely hope that Debian will choose a way to
> get away without throwing away systems that have just a small /, still
> supporting a dedicated /usr as long as it's mounted by initramfs. I am
They cannot be supported without keeping a lot of unneeded complexity
around, but there is no reason to reinstall them: you can move / inside
/usr instead. You may use either sash or a live CD image.

> I also believe that smaller file systems are unlikely to break and
> that a system that can boot up to a ssh-able state even with a broken
> file system is way easier to fix. We have taken a huge step back in
And "apt install grml-rescueboot" is even better.
Also, with merged-/usr you may keep your *whole* OS in a read only file
system.

--
ciao,
Marco