Re: merged /usr considered harmful (was Re: Bits from the Technical Committee)

As I said, on a separate mail...

Marc Haber dijo [Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 07:12:24AM +0200]:
> In an ideal world, would the package manager not be a service utility
> to SUPPORT policy and adapt to changing environment contitions instead
> being a showstopper for innovation?
>
> Who is the dpkg maintainer to challenge the decisions of the entire
> project? I fully understand that there is only ONE dpkg maintainer,
> but a utility THIS central to the entire ecosystem not being team
> maintained is a HUGE part of the problem.
>
> And no, I cannot help and no, you wouldn't want me to write a single
> line of code in a package THIS central.
> (...)
> Would it not be dpkg's job to work around these flaws? It's not that
> every other component of a Debian system are perfect.

FWIW, I mostly agree with what you say here -- If the project decides
to a new standard (and, in this case, it has via the TC's decision --
which can of course be repealed by GR, if things come to that),
packages that behave differently... are buggy and should be fixed.

Of course, dpkg is a very special case for obvious reasons; I did try
to reach out to Guillem when we started discussing the bug at the TC,
and was disheartened by his harsh reply basically negating all
possibility of discussion because his non-belief in the TC itself.

There are technical issues that this migration will bring, and yes,
there is a nonzero chance some users will be bitten by the dissonance
between dpkg and reality. But after two TC bug resolutions (#914897
and #978636), and after lots of bytes have been spilled by various
people, I can only see work has to be put into making possibly
problematic cases less likely -- rebuilding and checking packages
don't ship files in the root directories will cover a great deal of
the distance. If aliasing the directories via symlinks is so messy,
well... we should focus on the root cause, and fix the rasons for it
to be broken as much as we can. The symlinks could probably be an
unconsequential footnote if this is done right.