Re: merged /usr considered harmful (was Re: Bits from the Technical Committee)

Am 19.07.21 um 07:23 schrieb Marc Haber:

I am NOT looking forward having to manually convert legacy systems to
merged /usr and I do sincerely hope that Debian will choose a way to
get away without throwing away systems that have just a small /, still
supporting a dedicated /usr as long as it's mounted by initramfs. I am
not sure whether we ever issued a clear statement about that.

I think this is a misunderstanding. Files from / would be moved to /usr. So the only way this could fail is, if your /usr partition was too small.That's still a possibility for existing systems, but a much smaller one then moving files from /usr to /. Typically a separate /usr partition is larger then /.

There are some technical reasons to separate /boot if you are using a file
system for other partitions that isn't suitable for early boot (or if
you're using cryptsetup or other file system layers).  /boot/efi is always
a separate partition because of how it works.  Apart from those two
special cases, the only reason to put something on a separate file system
is if you have a clear and compelling reason why you expect a given file
system to run out of space and you want to ensure that it cannot take
space from other parts of the system.

I also believe that smaller file systems are unlikely to break and
that a system that can boot up to a ssh-able state even with a broken
file system is way easier to fix. We have taken a huge step back in
that regard with systemd since the systemd rescue mode requiring the
"real" root password even for minor startup failures is way more
unfriendly than what we had before.

I assume you are referring to the sulogin issue here [1], i.e. whether we require a root password on an emergency failure or not.
Fwiw, this is mostly me being paranoid and not handing out root shells.
This has nothing to do with merged-/usr.

Michael

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=802211