Re: merged /usr considered harmful

Marc Haber dixit:

>think we can afford an additional time sink at the moment. Please, get

While that’s true…

>Can we please delay this discussion until after the release? I don't

… we can’t afford to: the TC discussion becomes valid as soon as
bullseye is released, which is in two weeks, and the people who
want to make Debian into a Fedora/RedHat/systemd-OS derivative
are going to rely on it and make our lives harder immediately.
They have proven time and time again, cf. #921012, #964139, that
they’re interested in actively breaking nōn-systemd users’ cases,
even despite policy to the contrary (basically ignoring the latter
until they managed to change policy to their likes).

>bullseye out of the door first, then decide how many existing users
>we're going to drive away from Debian in the next round.

*sigh* and isn’t that true…

I *really* don’t get why…

ⓐ these things aren’t done in a derivative that’s *really* close
  to Debian proper but can do all the funky new stuff, preserving
  support for the old stuff in Debian itself, and…

ⓑ usrmerge is “needed” anyway; we were working rather well with the
  previous (and rather-recently-introduced) model of “either /usr
  must be on the same filesystem as / or you must use an initrd to
  mount it”.

Frankly, usrmerge is WORSE then what we had before, in all possible
ways. People are going to write unportable scripts and programs, for
example. Symlink farming and moving is also not going to cut it (also,
rules like “if ed(1) is installed, /bin/ed must be able to call it”
is where other distros failed during moving stuff to /usr).

Why is there such heavy incentive to break things that work, for any
price?

Disappointed, and having spent a day crossgrading and moving from
sid to bullseye,
//mirabilos
PS: Please keep me in Cc, I’m not subscribed here, too high-volume
PPS: This is really draining energy. I just refused adopting a package
     I use and which is rather useful because I just can’t any more.
     And there is flooding and… stuff.
--
22:59⎜<Vutral> glaub ich termkit is kompliziert | glabe nicht das man
damit schneller arbeitet | reizüberflutung │ wie windows │ alles evil