Re: How to commit a new architecture like RISC-V

On Sat, May 22, 2021 at 3:24 AM Paul Wise  wrote:

> The steps are essentially documented in the port template wiki page,
> but I have rewritten the page into some clearer text here:

Woops, I sent the mail before I had finished it, I continue from where
I stopped.

Setup communication channels for the architecture, such as a mailing
list and IRC channel.

https://wiki.debian.org/IRC#How_to_create_a_new_.23debian-.2A_channel

Add your architecture to the bugs arch usertags page:

https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Debbugs/ArchitectureTags

Continue building as many packages as you can using the new
build-essential packages.

Propose the port for inclusion amongst the unofficial ports:

https://www.ports.debian.org/contacts

Setup buildd servers for the unofficial port, either in qemu or hardware.

https://www.debian.org/devel/buildd/

Monitor build failures and continually fix issues.

https://buildd.debian.org/status/architecture.php
https://udd.debian.org/cgi-bin/ftbfs.cgi

Donate hardware for the GCC compile farm:

https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/CompileFarm

Setup porterboxen for package maintainers to login to and port packages.

Donate hardware for debomatic:

https://debomatic.github.io/

Grow the hardware ecosystem until it satisfies the requirements for an
official port:

https://dsa.debian.org/ports/hardware-requirements/

Improve the port until it satisfies the criteria for being included in
the main archive:

http://ftp-master.debian.org/archive-criteria.html

Improve the port until it satisfies the criteria for being included in
a Debian release:

https://release.debian.org/testing/arch_policy.html

Port the Debian installer, live images and cloud images so that they
work on the arch.

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/sid_d-i/arch-latest/
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-live-builds/
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/openstack/testing/

Write some documentation about installing the arch on specific hardware:

https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn

Submit installation reports for those installs:

https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ch05s04#submit-bug

Submit some hardware probes for the hardware:

https://wiki.debian.org/Hardware/Database

> 3. in  our local environment, we already have a Debian port based on
> loongarch64. Will this help the port work.

This will help because it will be a source of patches that you can
send to upstream projects and to Debian.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise