Re: How to commit a new architecture like RISC-V

On Sat, May 22, 2021 at 2:57 AM zhangjialing wrote:

> 1. is it necessary to adapt rebootstrap ?

Yes, it is fairly essential to have an automatic bootstrap, so you can
continually fix problems that arise with the bootstrap process as
Debian evolves.

> 2. after adapt rebootstrap,what is the next. I want to know the full
> process for a new architecture do a debian port.

The steps are essentially documented in the port template wiki page,
but I have rewritten the page into some clearer text here:

Assemble a team of people working on the architecture and find a
sponsor for the team so they can work full time.

Decide on the GNU triplet, Debian multiarch tuple, Debian architecture
name and Debian end-user architecture name. Get these details included
in the projects for them: GNU config, the multi-arch wiki, dpkg and
the Debian website.

https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/config
https://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch/Tuples
https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Dpkg/FAQ#new-arch
https://salsa.debian.org/webmaster-team/webwml/-/blob/master/english/releases/arches.data

Register the port on the Debian wiki, replace example64 throughout the
page with the chosen architecture name and fill out as many details as
you have.

https://wiki.debian.org/Ports

Summarise the details of the architecture and ABI on the arch summary wiki page:

https://wiki.debian.org/ArchitectureSpecificsMemo#Summary

Get the patches supporting the port included into the binutils, gcc,
gdb, qemu, glibc, linux upstream projects.

Get the architecture supported in rebootstrap:

https://wiki.debian.org/HelmutGrohne/rebootstrap

Finalise the ABI and CPU baseline requirements.

Keep working on the bootstrap process using rebootstrap and manual
bootstrapping until you get all of build-essential built and
installable with debootstrap.

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianBootstrap

Setup communication channels for the architecture, such as a mailing
list and IRC channel.

https://wiki.debian.org/PortTemplate

> 3. in  our local environment, we already have a Debian port based on
> loongarch64. Will this help the port work.

This will help because

--
bye,
pabs