Re: Thanks and Decision making working group (was Re: General Resolution: Statement regarding Richard Stallman's readmission to the FSF board result)

Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> writes:

> Our current processes work best, I believe, if proposals are written in
> the open, so that if people disagree with the proposed texts, they can
> start working on their amendment right away, which is much more
> difficult to do under the time pressure of a GR procedure.

I'm helping hash out some ideas in private only because framing the
problem and brainstorming possible solutions requires a ton of back and
forth and trying to do that initial work on a public mailing list is
exhausting and takes even longer.  My intent is that anything we might
come up with is made public for general discussion well in advance of
being formally proposed for a GR, once it's in sufficiently coherent
shape.

(This is independent of any working group and started some time ago.)

Personally, my interest is in fixing the process around the discussion
period and the construction of the ballot.  The constitution currently
says some things that we've found cause unnecessary problems and weird
corner cases, leaves some things unspecified in confusing ways, and did
not anticipate the widespread use of ballot options and is therefore
hopelessly confusing about roles.  I think those can be cleared up in a
way that will make all GR votes smoother and more comprehensible going
forward.  I had intended to work on this after the systemd vote and then
didn't, which I feel bad about because we just had most of the same
problems again.  It's obviously something that's going to affect any even
moderately controversial GR we have, including on technical topics.

I'm also interested in a secret ballot for all GRs, but I think that's a
separate discussion (and a separate GR) from dealing with the discussion
period and ballot construction process.

I personally have little interest in messing with the rules about how we
do Condorcet, although of course other people might and I will read their
proposals with interest.