Re: About lintian

Hi Lucas,

On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 2:31 AM Lucas Nussbaum <lucas@debian.org> wrote:

> I agree that a service that provides an overview of the status regarding
> lintian for the whole archive would be useful (for example, to identify
> packages that need some area of work inside a team).

This functionality is not going away. I had to address a series of
issues to make the runners stable. Lintian itself no longer crashes or
stalls for any package in unstable or experimental. (I did not try
other "releases".)

The runners, which allocate and manage resources while tags are
generated, also no longer crash and can now operate without blacklists
(although some packages like Firefox with 300,000 source files consume
extraordinary resources to generate tags that are unlikely to be
fixed).

For tag reporting, I had to address a series of encoding issues.
Lintian now emits JSON.

The website is actually relatively simple when it comes to replacing
the old lintian.d.o. The use of dynamic Javascript backed by a
database, however, opens up the use of many more features than the old
website, which used Perl to generate static HTML for about 40,000
pages. The new website also deals automatically with incremental
changes in the database, which I think is a huge advantage.

> If there's a lack of interest/motivation to redesign lintian.d.o as a
> standalone service, maybe a simpler architecture to explore would be to
> build it on top of UDD

Having just designed a Postgres database for this purpose, I do not
believe UDD has the proper table layout but you are welcome to try.

Kind regards
Felix Lechner