Re: Making Debian available

Bjørn wrote:
>Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> writes:
>
>> Marc Haber wrote:
>>>
>>>I was not aware of that feature. It is good to have that, but I would
>>>be embarrassed to seriously suggest this way because we can't manage
>>>to get WLAN working in the installer for political reasons.
>>
>> Are we seriously just going to describe our Free Software goals as
>> "political reasons"? Should we just abandon them?
>
>FWIW, I did not read Marc that way.

Fair enough.

>Somehow, the Free Software goals have been interpreted to mean that
>there is a difference in "free" between firmware on device internal
>flash and firmware on host ssd.  This makes no sense from a technical
>point of view.  Which makes the interpretation political if we assume
>that the decision is made by otherwise sane people ignoring technical
>arguments.

To a simple end user, there might not be a difference. They have
firmware for their device.

However, in the latter case Debian has shipped non-free stuff. That is
a big shift in our position. Don't get me wrong: I'm not saying this
is an impossible place for us to go to. But before we do that we
should have an open and honest debate about it.

"You can't barbecue lettuce!" -- Ellie Crane