Tools to better colorize the command-line experience?

Hello!

Colorizing the command-line is an efficient way to make various output
more readable. In particular when browsing log files it helps hugely
if columns or certain key values are colorized.

For this type of use case there is ccze packaged in Debian[1].
Lesspipe[2] is also somewhat known. I looked into packaging hl[3] as
it is easier to use than ccze, It also worries me that ccze has no
upstream commits in 10 years. However I stopped working on hl as it
does not seem to be as powerful and generic as ccze.

Do you have any tips about generic command-line coloring programs?

I am in particular interested in generic from the point of view that
they would work well in different shells and terminal connections, and
support a wide array of log file formats or program outputs, and thus
would best serve an average Linux distro user.

- Otto

[1] https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/ccze
[2] https://github.com/wofr06/lesspipe
[3] https://github.com/mbornet-hl/hl