Re: Need help with getting a package to build reproducibly on arm*

On Fri, 8 Jan 2021 at 06:24, Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org> wrote:
Hi,

as can be seen at [1], systemd does not build reproducibly on armhf and
arm64 (while there is no problem on amd64 and i386).

I'm hardly an expert in such things but it looks to me as if gcc is ordering things differently between the two builds:

https://tests.reproducible-builds.org/debian/dbd/unstable/arm64/systemd_247.2-4.diffoscope.html#systemd-tests_---.---_arm--.deb---data.tar.xz---data.tar---.-usr-lib-systemd-tests-manual-test-udev---objdump---line-numbers---disassemble---demangle---reloc---no-show-raw-insn---section-.text---

and all the other differences follow on from that. Unless systemd is using particularly strange compiler options, it's unlikely to be a systemd packaging issue.

Cheers,
mwh

The problem is, I have no idea what the diffoscope diff [2] means and
how I can make the package build reproducibly everywhere or how I can
further investigate this.

Any help here is greatly appreciated as I think reproducible-builds are
a great effort and I'd like to support that as much as I can.

Regards,
Michael

[1]
https://tests.reproducible-builds.org/debian/rb-pkg/unstable/amd64/systemd.html