Re: Split Packages files based on new section "buildlibs"

On Wed, 11 Nov 2020 at 14:26:55 +0100, Matthias Klose wrote:
> If you ask some upstreams of Python based software, their recommendation would
> be to use pip, and probably conda (a cross OS distribution focusing on Python)
> to do upstream development.  If you ask casual users, you probably will get
> another answer.
>
> Same thing probably for Java libraries. I don't know anybody who would do
> development using the Debian packaged libraries.

I think perhaps the key thing here is that Python does *have* a reasonably
well-defined system-wide search path for packages outside the Python
core (/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages). Even if some projects prefer to
use pip instead of dist-packages, they can't claim that dist-packages
doesn't exist.

Also analogous: just because some people use LD_LIBRARY_PATH-based
mechanisms like jhbuild or the Steam Runtime for their C/C++ libraries,
that doesn't invalidate the fact that the C compiler and runtime linker
are designed to have default search paths that contain more than just
libgcc and glibc, and can have (for example) a system copy of a
third-party library like zlib or GTK.

My understanding is that Rust and Go code literally doesn't have
analogous built-in system-wide search paths for third-party libraries,
and when building Debian packages that contain Rust and Go code, we have
to invent them in a Debian-specific way.

    smcv