Re: Split Packages files based on new section "buildlibs"

On Mon, Nov 9, 2020 at 10:37 PM Joerg Jaspert wrote:

> More and more packages are being uploaded into the Debian archive which
> are only ever used for building packages. These are not only never
> intended to be installed onto an end-user's system, they are even
> actively discouraged from being used directly by a user. The two
> currently most notable examples are packages used by the Go and Rust
> programming languages and their ecosystem, but there well may be
> others[1].

Does this include the -dev packages for C/etc libraries?

I guess it also applies to Haskell and other statically-linked languages.

https://wiki.debian.org/StaticLinking

> The current proposal is to reduce the main Packages.xz files size by
> splitting[4] out all of the packages that are not intended for users,
> writing those into an own file. Those packages would have a section of
> "buildlibs", independent of their other properties.

Should (almost?) everything in the existing libdevel section move to
the new buildlibs section?

--
bye,
pabs