Re: Split Packages files based on new section "buildlibs"

On Wed, Nov 11, 2020 at 02:26:55PM +0100, Matthias Klose wrote:
> On 11/10/20 10:51 PM, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> > On 15948 March 1977, Paul Wise wrote:
> >
> >> Does this include the -dev packages for C/etc libraries?
> >
> > No.
> >
> >> I guess it also applies to Haskell and other statically-linked languages.
> >> https://wiki.debian.org/StaticLinking
> >
> > StaticLinking itself is not enough. This is about languages where the actual
> > development in it is discouraged from doing with the debian packaged stuff.
> > Where you do not go "I need lib XY, i install libxy-perl/libxy-dev/whatever the
> > name" and hack around using it. But "Oh, i want to hack on foo, i go get
> > foo/cargo .../whateverthetool" and the debian package only ever comes in play if
> > you do build debian packages using it.
>
> If you ask some upstreams of Python based software, their recommendation would
> be to use pip, and probably conda (a cross OS distribution focusing on Python)
> to do upstream development.  If you ask casual users, you probably will get
> another answer.
>
> Same thing probably for Java libraries. I don't know anybody who would do
> development using the Debian packaged libraries.

> >> Should (almost?) everything in the existing libdevel section move to
> >> the new buildlibs section?
> >
> > No, if so we would have split that section out.
>
> Reducing the size of the index file is a technical issue inside Debian, and
> relating that to
>
>   """
>   languages where the actual development in it is discouraged
>   from doing with the debian packaged stuff
>   """
>
> seems to be wrong, as any upstream eco system providing their own environment
> for development and distribution would need to move to this section.  I don't
> think the reference to upstreams doesn't help with the definition of the new
> section.

The thing we should aim for, the thing I'm aiming for,
is that software developed in any programming language
can be distributed by Debian.

User point of view:   `apt install foo`

Debian policy p.o.v.  `apt-get source foo`

> Matthias

Regards
Geert Stappers
--