Re: How to switch to DEP14 automatically for > 1000 existing repositories

Le vendredi 11 septembre 2020, Paolo Greppi <paolo.greppi@libpf.com> a écrit :
> Hi Andreas,
>
> Il 11/09/20 12:16, Andreas Tille ha scritto:
>> Hi,

Hello,

>> in teams where I have lots of packages (summing up to more than 1000)
>> I've touched) we followed the gbp default and have branches
>>
>>     master
>>     upstream
>>     pristine-tar
>>
>> and this is also the layout fixed in those team policies.  I admit I
>> don't have strong feelings about branch names but I'm willing to
>> normalize to some common standard which seems to be the now accepted
>> DEP14.  However, its not acceptable to change this manually.  As far as
>> to my experience it is hard to rename a default branch - at least I did
>> this in those rare cases when I had to rename a default branch by using
>> the Salsa web interface.
>>
>> My guess is that the Salsa API provides means to script everything.  Is
>> there any existing script that supports this or is there any volunteer
>> to write it.  I would start migrating Debian Med, Debian Science and
>> R packaging team repositories once gbp also switched to DEP14.
>>
>> Kind regards
>>
>>        Andreas.
>
> I would use a Python library as client to the Gitlab API on salsa.
> We have this one already packaged in Debian:
> https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/python-gitlab
>
> Disclaimer: I have already used this library for a different purpose:
> https://salsa.debian.org/paolog/bts2salsa
>
> I am interested in working on this for the _javascript_ team,
> but of course only if the team agrees to this bulk change.

You can take a look at GitLabracadabra:

https://gitlab.com/gitlabracadabra/gitlabracadabra

Based on python-gitlab, it can change default branch:

https://gitlab.com/gitlabracadabra/gitlabracadabra/-/blob/master/doc/project.md#default-branch

And create branches:

https://gitlab.com/gitlabracadabra/gitlabracadabra/-/blob/master/doc/project.md#branches

Cheers