Re: How to switch to DEP14 automatically for > 1000 existing repositories

Hi Andreas,

Il 11/09/20 12:16, Andreas Tille ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> in teams where I have lots of packages (summing up to more than 1000)
> I've touched) we followed the gbp default and have branches
>
>     master
>     upstream
>     pristine-tar
>
> and this is also the layout fixed in those team policies.  I admit I
> don't have strong feelings about branch names but I'm willing to
> normalize to some common standard which seems to be the now accepted
> DEP14.  However, its not acceptable to change this manually.  As far as
> to my experience it is hard to rename a default branch - at least I did
> this in those rare cases when I had to rename a default branch by using
> the Salsa web interface.
>
> My guess is that the Salsa API provides means to script everything.  Is
> there any existing script that supports this or is there any volunteer
> to write it.  I would start migrating Debian Med, Debian Science and
> R packaging team repositories once gbp also switched to DEP14.
>
> Kind regards
>
>        Andreas.

I would use a Python library as client to the Gitlab API on salsa.
We have this one already packaged in Debian:
https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/python-gitlab

Disclaimer: I have already used this library for a different purpose:
https://salsa.debian.org/paolog/bts2salsa

I am interested in working on this for the JavaScript team,
but of course only if the team agrees to this bulk change.

Paolo