Re: debdocker - A Debian docker-based personal builder

Hi Philipp,

Thanks for the reply and for pointing out other tools. As i already replied to
Jonas, i missed the mentioned tools while i was searching for a container based
builder (see my superficial comments inline - additional to my reply to Jonas).

Dne 27.06.2020 (sob) ob 13:44 +0200 je Philipp Hahn napisal(a):
> Hello,
>
> Am 27.06.20 um 12:08 schrieb Samo Pogačnik:
> > I am preparing a packaging support tool similar to pbuilder, except that it
> > uses
> > docker containers instead of chroot environments. The project is available
> > here:
> > https://salsa.debian.org/spog/debdocker
>
> There already is <https://www.uhoreg.ca/programming/debian/whalebuilder
see my reply to Jonas

> and <https://github.com/metux/docker-buildpackage>.
There is not much info about the project, but it looks like it supports only
builds out of unpacked debianized source tree, but it creates an apt repo, which
other tools don't. Not much support for managing container images and no support
for interactive work inside containers.

> There also was this mail thread ~2018:
> <https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2018/05/msg00011.html>
>
> I think there also was a discussion to include Docker support into
> sbuild, which would allow autopkgtest to use that interface.
>
> <https://wiki.debian.org/SystemBuildTools> also list several other tools
>

> So please clarify why we need yet another tool and what are the benefits
> of your tool compared to the other ones already existing. Not only for
> us Debian Developers, but also in the package description for all other
> users looking for the right solution for their problem. Thanks.
I can not really say what are the benefits of my tool since i do not know other
tools well. It is good to have more tools available, at least until all use-
cases float out and get covered by the ultimate tool or a set of tools.
My goal was to create isolated environments for any debian based distribution,
being capable of not only debian packaging but also developing an testing most
of debian and other sw projects.

> Philipp

regards, Samo