Re: length of Debian copyright files

Hello,

On Wed 25 Mar 2020 at 08:58PM +05, Andrey Rahmatullin wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 03:43:17PM +0000, Simon McVittie wrote:
>> I think part of the problem might be this vicious cycle: the NEW queue
>> is an asynchronous gatekeeper/progress blocker, which gives maintainers
>> a strong incentive to get things accepted first time (because a NEW
>> rejection will double the delay), which means maintainers are incentivized
>> to dot every i and cross every t in the copyright file even if it isn't
>> strictly necessary, which means the ftp team are given larger and more
>> verbose copyright files to read, which presumably means the NEW queue
>> takes longer than it otherwise could.
> Do you mean it's not essential to track and list all licenses and
> copyrights? IIRC only one simplification is permitted and I don't even
> remember which one is it (maybe combining copyright years and names into
> one entry? or just years?).

With the machine-readable format, you can combine copyright years and
names for files under the same license, yes.

Policy currently requires you to include all copyright claims and all
licenses (§§ 2.3, 4.5, 12.5).

If a d/copyright doesn't include all copyright claims but it's not a
license violation -- some licenses require they all be included in
binary distributions but some don't -- the FTP team typically ACCEPT but
file an RC bug citing Policy.

--
Sean Whitton