Re: ratt as a service?

On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 8:34 AM Sandro Tosi <morph@debian.org> wrote:

> Hello,
> ratt (rebuild all the things, https://packages.debian.org/sid/ratt) is
> really interesting but it's sometimes hard to use effectively on
> personal resources: some packages have tens, if not hundreds of
> reverse dependencies, and running ratt for them on your laptop is just
> not feasible.
>
> So i'm wondering if Debian should offer a service where:
>
> * a developer (as someone with a gpg key in the debian keyring, at
> least at first) uploads a binary .changes file (so source + binary
> packages, built locally) to a new dput upload queue
> * ratt is executed against that package reverse dependencies
> * when the run is completed, a recap email is sent to the Changed-By
> address with the list of fail/success
> * also a web interface to track the progress of the rebuild & read the
> build logs.
>
> this could be scaled pretty easily with multiple backend "builders"
> (and we can put limits in place to reduce concurrency, like one
> package per developer only etc etc)

This is especially useful for some teams, like pkg-go team.  Most
ftbfs can't be found except rebuilding all the reverse dependecies.
This is probably why stapelberg implemented this.
If there's a such service, I hope it can be integrated with salsa, and
be triggered when you push.
However if it's been widely used, I would concern how to build more
efficiently and cache friendly.

--
Shengjing Zhu