Re: RFC: Replacing vim-tiny with nano in essential packages

try ssh into a windows machine.
the termcaps are all manner of fun.

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 7:23 AM Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl> wrote:
On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 11:34:10AM +0500, Lev Lamberov wrote:
> Ср 18 мар 2020 @ 18:52 Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl>:
>
> > Alas, our ed is basically:
> > #!/bin/sh
> > while read x;do echo '?';done
>
> That's not true. The ed package in the Debian archive is full GNU ed.

I'm not talking about functionality under the hood, I'm bad-mouthing the
user-friendliness.

I used to be an ed user for a decade (I've coded on a game that offered only
a line-based interface), but that was Beattie ed which was _massively_ more
comfortable to use interactively than GNU ed (and probably way less
powerful).  It was enough to bother with file transfers only for big edits.

But that was a special case.  Today, even on a bad serial link, all you need
is a visual editor that does _not_ obey termcap/terminfo.  In my experience,
the 99% cause of breakage is:
* weird ancient Unices: bad termcappage
* Linux/BSD: wrong terminal size ("setterm --resize")
(ignoring termcap works because last non-vt100ish terminals were made ~40
years ago)

Thus, I can't think of a scenario where ed would be preferred over a visual
editor.  If such scenario exists, it's too obscure for the default small
system.

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ in the beginning was the boot and root floppies and they were good.