Re: RFC: Replacing vim-tiny with nano in essential packages

On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 01:38:34PM -0400, Peter Silva wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 12:40 PM Theodore Y. Ts'o <tytso@mit.edu> wrote:
> > I've always considered /bin/ed the most basic system administration
> > tool, since it doesn't require a working terminal or termcap entry.
> > It works even if you are using an ASR-33 teletype.  :-)
> >
> > And at least for me, I find /bin/ed much more user friendly than vi,
> > since it doesn't have as modal of a UI as vi.  (Vi has 3 modes, ed has
> > only 2.)
> >
> > /bin/ed is also *much* smaller than even busybox.

Alas, our ed is basically:
#!/bin/sh
while read x;do echo '?';done

> fwiw... anyone who knows vi already knows ed, it's just the line mode
> commands.
> you save the : and that's it.
>
> uh... fwiw, I had a mainframe typish system I had to admin 30 years ago...
> being a mainframe, had no working TERMCAP, and the editor was ed.  yeah, a
> bit painful, the only command that you don't use in ordinary vi is p.

For that kind of use, you want Beattie ed instead.

But, this millenium, the only use of ed is trolling those with too much hue
in their beards.

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀ It's all millenials' fault.  I've discussed this with a cow
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ orker, we just couldn't agree on a definition -- I say