Re: RFC: Replacing vim-tiny with nano in essential packages

On 2020-03-18 08:18 +0000, Jonathan Dowland wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 12:50:01PM +0100, Tomas Pospisek wrote:
>>I'd disagree. vi is very newbie unfriendly. OTOH I expect people that
>>know how to navigate vi to be able to `apt install vi` without any problem.
>>*t
>
> My initial feeling was similar, but we're talking about systems that
> only have minbase/priority Essential packages and nothing else.

No, we are talking about systems that only have packages with priority
important and higher installed (the debootstrap default).  Those
currently include vim-tiny and nano, whereas an absolutely minimal
system does not include an interactive editor at all.  On those you have
to edit files with shell redirection and sed.

Cheers,
       Sven