Re: Debian With Alternate Init Systems

On 08.02.20 22:39, Steve McIntyre wrote:

> +1. A reasonable patch to allow this kind of thing would of course be
> considered. It could even be pre-seeded to allow for easy control of
> it.

> I *think* we said something like that ages ago, but no sign of
> patches.

The installer patches are trivial once debootstrap is able to do that.

Patches to support this have already been rejected once, with the
rationale that installing with systemd and then running "apt-get -y
install sysvinit-core" afterwards should work (ironically, the patch is
in a bug report about installing systemd instead of sysvinit, #668001).

I wouldn't feel comfortable submitting a debian-installer patch that
uses this method, because it lacks the "reasonable" property, but at the
same time I don't see much of an alternative here, given that the GR
result does not specify a course of action.

   Simon