Re: Heads up: persistent journal has been enabled in systemd

Ansgar - 06.02.20, 13:25:06 CET:
> On Thu, 2020-02-06 at 12:30 +0100, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > Especially as I found that I did not use journalctl in my daily
> > practice anyway.
>
> Given you wrote earlier that you moved all but one of your machines
> away from Debian, whatever Debian installs by default doesn't affect
> you anyway.
>
> I don't write on mailing lists of distributions I don't use (or only
> use a bit) arguing about what is included in their default
> installation, though one could argue that emacs should be installed
> everywhere by default.

That I do not use Debian anymore on all except one of my system does not
mean that I still feel bonds with the project, especially some teams of
it, like the Debian Qt KDE team.

Also it does not (yet) mean that I abandoned my packaging efforts for it.

But of course, if you like to get rid of contributors, feel free to
pursue this kind of "go away already!" attitude.

To be very clear: After your comment I feel *unwelcome* here.

If Debian is to become a Systemd only distribution, by all means, then I
bet it is time for me to leave. *sigh*

If there is still willingness to resolve the underlying conflict in a way
that everyone can win, I still like to be in and help to move that along
as best as I can.

> > So why would removing rsyslog from the default install the only
> > viable approach to solve duplicate logging?
>
> If the rsyslog maintainer is also fine with this (which I'll assume he
> is), I think there's no real problem if that would be done.  I might

Can we for starters agree on not *assuming* things? Especially when it
comes to issues people feel strongly about?

> install rsyslog by hand on a few systems then, but that's not a real
> problem given I already have to install other packages anyway...
>
> I have no problem installing a different MTA than Debian's default
> (exim), my preferred shell, my preferred editor and so on either.

I usually install Postfix everywhere, but… does that somehow remove my
right to voice my concern about removing rsyslog from the default
install of Debian here?

Is this mailing list a place where people are not allowed to state their
concern and their preferences anymore? Where they receive "shut up"
messages when they try to do so?

I have been contacted off list in a supportive way already. From someone
who apparently does not like to raise his voice on this list anymore.

Ciao,
--
Martin