Re: Heads up: persistent journal has been enabled in systemd

 ❦  6 février 2020 10:45 +01, Svante Signell <svante.signell@gmail.com>:

>> To not have logs duplicated in two places.
>
> If this is your motivation for the change it is a _very_ weak one, right? Disk
> space is not a crucial problem anymore. Additionally, what would be the defaults
> for non-systemd systems running GNU/Linux? There are still a large number of
> Debian users opting away from using systemd (and still use Debian, not
> derivatives). And what about non-linux systems?

For individual systems, not running an additional daemon and not wasting
space on disk doesn't seem to be that a weak motivation. On my
workstations, I am disabling the syslog daemon since a long time since I
prefer browsing logs through journalctl and its superior abilities for
filtering (grep, date ranges, services).

People can still install the syslog daemon on their choices. On servers,
I prefer syslog-ng to rsyslog and I configure it to use journald as its
source for local logs as it gives me access to structured logs and more
information.

On non-Linux systems, a arch-specific package could just pull back
rsyslog.
--
	A man was reading The Canterbury Tales one Saturday morning, when his
wife asked "What have you got there?"  Replied he, "Just my cup and