Re: Heads up: persistent journal has been enabled in systemd

On Thursday, 6 February 2020 6:59:38 AM AEDT Nikolaus Rath wrote:
> I would venture that for every user who is grateful that
> /var/log/mail.log collects all the various mail-related logs, there is
> another user that curses about non being able to separate (out of the
> box) the logs from all the programs that consider themselves
> mail-related, and another user who struggles to remember in which
> logfile $DIFFICULT_TO_CLASSIFY_PROGRAM might be writing its logs.

There are log readers like "lnav" and "multitail" that will become useless
without traditional log files. "lnav" tails multiple logs by default and IMHO
provides a very useful interface.

Exclusively relying on systemd logging facilities limits ways in which we can
analyse logs.

--
All the best,
 Dmitry Smirnov.

---

That which has always been accepted by everyone, everywhere, is almost
certain to be false.
        -- Paul Valery