Re: Deprecating regex/fnmatch fallback for package arguments, and 1.9.6 highlights

On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 05:46:56PM +0100, Enrico Zini wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 01:15:29PM +0000, Paul Wise wrote:
>
> > > No, did I give that impression? Sorry, search is going to stay
> > > with regex on (I think it's) package names and descriptions.
> >
> > Speaking of search, are the apt maintainers aware of apt-xapian-index
> > and do you have any thoughts on it?
>
> Speaking as the original author of apt-xapian-index, I orphaned it some
> time ago, since nobody's ever built anything, to my knowledge, on top of
> its index[1].

aptitude can use apt-xapian-index for searching I think, and I think
xapian-style fulltext search makes a lot of sense for the search command,
but I have not looked into it closely.

> I assume that the various package management UIs that we have now, are
> building their own indices on top of appstream metadata, possibly with
> the advantage of it being independent from the underlying packaging
> technology.

Yes, AppStream has taken over most of the stuff apt-xapian-index
was envisioned for I think.

ubuntu core developer                              i speak de, en