Re: migration from cron.daily to systemd timers

Daniel Leidert <dleidert@debian.org> writes:

> Am Mittwoch, den 08.01.2020, 15:36 +0100 schrieb Philipp Kern:
>> On 2020-01-08 14:27, Daniel Leidert wrote:
>> > And what s the benefit of this change: Getting rid of cron?
>> >
>> > The very simple thing is: CRON=1 enables a cron job. It does *not* say:
>> > "Please
>> > enable something different as long as it achieves the same." There is
>> > nothing
>> > wrong with the cron job and it works perfectly fine. So I don't want to
>> > have it
>> > replaced by something less transparent.
>> >
>> > Why do you resist the appropriate behavior of raising a question
>> > whether the
>> > user wants you to replace cron by systemd?
>>
>> I don't think yelling in this way is helpful.
>
> Stop it. Right here and right now. I didn't yell at anybody. I raised some
> serious questions I believe are justified by your comments.

Erm, no -- I think you're conflating two Phils now (he has an extra 'p',
and a different surname ;-) )

The strong reaction he's complaining about was provoked by what I said.

I'm not really sure why you'd react like that, but just in case it
helps, I'll try to clarify where I'm coming from:

I have no particular opinion about keeping or discarding cron, but I do
object to questions that almost nobody wants to answer being shoved into
debconf in a way that means they may end up being duplicated across
multiple packages, and will then be left behind by future developments,
while not being easy enough to remove for them to ever go away.

If that can instead be dealt with by adding a useful comment in a file
that might well be the place that one would be looking when one needed
the information in that comment, then that seems like a better way of
doing the same thing.

Cheers, Phil.