Re: migration from cron.daily to systemd timers

On Wed, 08 Jan 2020, Daniel Leidert wrote:
> > This strikes me as clutter that will never be removed from debconf, so
> > let's not decide to do that for every package that might need a timer.
>
> Why should this question ever been removed? What is your goal? Getting rid of
> cron-jobs?

The question is not yet added. We should ask ourselves if it's actually
useful before adding it. Is the feature important enough to ask 50+
translators translate a question on whether the user prefers to use cron
or systemd to run some periodic checks?

My answer is no. Yours is apparently yes.

> > How about modifying the shipped /etc/default/spamassassin to include a
> > comment explaining what's going on, and how to enable the timer instead?
> >
> > Anyone who's set CRON=1 will then get warned about the maintainer's
> > modified version, which should catch their attention.  Everyone else
> > will get a handy hint about the new setup if they ever go to set CRON=1
> > in future.
>
> And what s the benefit of this change: Getting rid of cron?

He explained the benefits. Informing users who care enough to look
into the relevant configuration files and/or those who modified the said
files, without annoying everybody else with a question that they don't
care about.

> The very simple thing is: CRON=1 enables a cron job. It does *not* say: "Please
> enable something different as long as it achieves the same." There is nothing
> wrong with the cron job and it works perfectly fine. So I don't want to have it
> replaced by something less transparent.

This is the third time that you are saying this in this thread. Please let
others disagree with you without repeating yourself.

FWIW, I agree with other that CRON=1 really means that the use desires to
have the periodic check running. I also agree that a debconf prompt is
overkill for this choice.

Cheers,
--
  ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀   Raphaël Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org>