Re: migration from cron.daily to systemd timers

Le mercredi, 8 janvier 2020, 16.33:28 h CET Daniel Leidert a écrit :
> Am Mittwoch, den 08.01.2020, 15:36 +0100 schrieb Philipp Kern:
> > I think there needs to be a sensible choice for *periodic jobs* that we
> > should document as the default unless there is a reason to use something
> > else. It does not need to be cron, though.
>
> Then go the appropriate way. Get a resolution if the Debian project is ok
> with the new default (…)

We _literally_ just passed a resolution [0] saying:
> Packages may use any systemd facility at the package maintainer's
> discretion, provided that this is consistent with other Policy requirements
> (…)

Policy says conffile changes must not be overriden; not that their meaning or
semantics can never change.

> If there is such a resolution: Change the default for new
> installations and leave existing installations a choice.

Philip's proposal at <[🔎] 87eewah0ws.fsf@hands.com> ( modify the shipped /etc/
default/spamassassin so that hosts with changes get a prompt; and others just
start using the systemd timers) seems like a very nice strategy that seem to
cover your needs.

Cheers,
    OdyX

[0] https://www.debian.org/vote/2019/vote_002#textb