Re: please avoid writing useless/annoying stuff in debian/gbp.conf (was: source only upload with git-buildpackage)

On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 at 19:59:07 -0500, Jeremy Bicha wrote:
> Let me try to be more specific. Many packages are maintained by people
> who use gbp. Many packages have pristine-tar branches but do not have
> "pristine-tar = True" set. When I work on one of these packages (and I
> work on many packages with many maintainers), I need to have
> "pristine-tar = True" set in my ~/.gbp.conf. However, when I then want
> to work on an OpenStack package, I have to change my user config to
> set "pristine-tar = False". This is a very manual process and I'm
> likely to make a mistake.

I think it's worth emphasizing that the options for which this is
valuable are exactly the options that affect interoperability with other
maintainers, or to put it another way, that affect what you commit.

For example, pristine-tar, debian-branch, upstream-branch and
upstream-vcs-tag affect what `gbp import-orig` does, so they need to be
the same for anyone who plans to import new upstream releases. I think
that means they make sense in d/gbp.conf for the reasons Jeremy stated.

If you prefer to use ignore-branch instead of debian-branch then that's
your choice, or perhaps your team's, and if you use that option then
maybe you don't need debian-branch; but when you import a new upstream
release you're not on the upstream branch, so `gbp import-orig` still
needs to know where the upstream-branch is.

Conversely, tarball-dir, export-dir and builder are personal preference
or local system configuration, and should not appear in d/gbp.conf, only
in ~/.gbp.conf or .git/gbp.conf. The first few packages I maintained with
git in Debian did have tarball-dir and export-dir in d/gbp.conf, mimicking
the way svn-buildpackage's directory properties worked; but that was a
bug, which I believe has now been fixed in everything I still maintain.

    smcv