Re: please avoid writing useless/annoying stuff in debian/gbp.conf (was: source only upload with git-buildpackage)

On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 2:59 AM Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> wrote:
> On 11/11/19 1:02 AM, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 10, 2019 at 11:20:45PM +0100, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> >>
> >> Please, *never* do that. It's generally a very bad idea to write
> >> anything to debian/gbp.conf. It's as if you were adding your text editor
> >> preferences in the package. Instead, please prefer writing in ~/.gbp.conf.
> >
> > I keep most of my git-buildpackage settings which are specific to my
> > developer environment in ~/.gbp.conf.  However, there are some gbp
> > settings which are specific to the repository set up, and those I
> > think, IMHO, *are* appropriate for debian/gbp.conf.  For example:
> >
> > [DEFAULT]
> > pristine-tar = True
> > upstream-tag='v%(version)s'
> > debian-branch=debian/master
>
> The first 2, yes. The last one, it's my opinion that it's useless, and
> that you only need it because "ignore-branch = True" isn't the default
> in git-buildpackage. It's ok as long as you always keep the same
> packagig branch, but if, like in my team, we need a new branch name
> every 6 months, and for 400+ repositories, then keeping the branch name
> declared in debian/gbp.conf becomes super annoying (as it forces one to
> change the "debian-branch" each time).

Could you please add debian/gbp.conf back to your packages? As I
understand it, I think your preferred settings would look something
like this:

[DEFAULT]
ignore-branch = True
pristine-tar = False

[buildpackage]
sign-tags = True

[dch]
multimaint-merge = True

[import-orig]
upstream-tag = %(version)s

[pq]
patch-numbers = False

It is absolutely not possible to set the correct
pristine-tar=True/False in ~/.gbp.conf to work with your packages
(which avoid pristine-tar) and the vast majority of gbp packages in
Debian which do use pristine-tar. Those settings are specific to the
workflow for that repo, and everyone using that repo needs to use
those same settings to avoid issues.

On the other hand, there are some developer-level preferences like
export-dir and "pbuilder = True". Those should not be in the repo's
debian/gbp.conf but they should be in ~/.gbp.conf .

Thanks,
Jeremy Bicha