Re: please avoid writing useless/annoying stuff in debian/gbp.conf (was: source only upload with git-buildpackage)

On Sun, Nov 10, 2019 at 11:20:45PM +0100, Thomas Goirand wrote:

> Please, *never* do that. It's generally a very bad idea to write
> anything to debian/gbp.conf. It's as if you were adding your text editor
> preferences in the package. Instead, please prefer writing in ~/.gbp.conf.

I keep most of my git-buildpackage settings which are specific to my
developer environment in ~/.gbp.conf.  However, there are some gbp
settings which are specific to the repository set up, and those I
think, IMHO, *are* appropriate for debian/gbp.conf.  For example:

[DEFAULT]
pristine-tar = True
upstream-tag='v%(version)s'
debian-branch=debian/master

If you are going to be cloning the e2fsprogs repository and wanting to
use gbp-buildpackage, you *will* want to use these settings, and
putting them in ~/.gbp.conf doesn't work well, since they won't apply
for all packages that they might want to build.

Regards,

						- Ted