Re: please avoid writing useless/annoying stuff in debian/gbp.conf (was: source only upload with git-buildpackage)

On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 5:23 AM Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> wrote:
> On 11/11/19 12:50 PM, Jeremy Bicha wrote:
> > It is absolutely not possible to set the correct
> > pristine-tar=True/False in ~/.gbp.conf to work with your packages
> > (which avoid pristine-tar) and the vast majority of gbp packages in
> > Debian which do use pristine-tar. Those settings are specific to the
> > workflow for that repo, and everyone using that repo needs to use
> > those same settings to avoid issues.
>
> I don't think what you wrote above is correct. None of the options you
> mentioned are mandatory. If GBP doesn't see the use of pristine-tar, it
> will assume that we're using an upstream tag, which is fine.
> Besides this, nobody is forced to use gbp. Just typing "sbuild" to build
> a package is also perfectly valid. So why adding preferences for one set
> of tooling, when there's many alternatives? It doesn't make sense.

Let me try to be more specific. Many packages are maintained by people
who use gbp. Many packages have pristine-tar branches but do not have
"pristine-tar = True" set. When I work on one of these packages (and I
work on many packages with many maintainers), I need to have
"pristine-tar = True" set in my ~/.gbp.conf. However, when I then want
to work on an OpenStack package, I have to change my user config to
set "pristine-tar = False". This is a very manual process and I'm
likely to make a mistake.

Ideally, packages maintained by someone who wants to consistently use
pristine-tar will have that set in debian/gbp.conf and the minority of
maintainers who don't will have that set in debian/gbp.conf too.

While you could use sbuild to build gnome-calculator for instance, you
do have to use gbp to **maintain** gnome-calculator -- especially when
packaging new versions. That is because gnome-calculator is
team-maintained by the Debian GNOME team and we have guidelines for
how our packages are maintained [1]. To make life easier for
contributors, we enforce as many of those guidelines as possible in
debian/gbp.conf.

Similarly, you have guidelines for how OpenStack packaging updates and
bugfixes are handled and it seems to me like it would make a whole lot
more sense for you to explicitly "forbid" pristine-tar from being used
in your packages, as long as you are the maintainer and you believe
that pristine-tar is unsuitable for those packages.

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/Gnome/Git

Thanks,
Jeremy Bicha