Re: Integration with systemd

On Oct 31, Svante Signell <svante.signell@gmail.com> wrote:

> When elogind enters testing there would be many more people running
> Debian with sysvinit/elogind. elogind is needed for desktop usage when
> not using systemd as PID 1. And as said numerous times Debian
elogind is already in testing: I will be delighted to see how the number
of testing/unstable users running sysvinit will change in November.

> maintainers don't have to create sysvinit scripts, they have only to
> _accept_ patches to add or fix sysvinit scripts.
The problem is not just shipping a sysvinit script to start a daemon.
The problem is integrating in the boot system packages to support things
like LVM, FCoE and multipath.
The problem is all the brittle machinery needed to support switching
among differeny init systems.
The problem is having a daemon whose listening ports and addresses
should be configured with systemd units or their configuration file
depending on the init system being used.
The problem is starting X and then starting all the programs in the user
session with systemd user units or with something totally different
which maybe 1% of the users base has tested.
The problem is other packages having to support two totally different
kinds of suspend/resume hooks.
And so on.

It was never just about sysvinit scripts: if all needed to make our
few sysvinit users happy were just accepting patches to add missing init
scripts then who would object?

> Any ideas of the non-linux ports: Scrap them, and leave them in the
> cold?
The non-Linux ports already died due to lack of users and developers
because they are pointless, this has nothing to do with systemd.

--
ciao,
Marco