Re: Integration with systemd

On Fri, 1 Nov 2019 at 08:27, Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> wrote:
However, this doesn't mean that anything non-systemd must implement all
things that systemd does, or just die. It really doesn't make sense to
tell that, for example, OpenRC should be forced into implementing a
parser of .timer files, just because some maintainers wont care about
cron jobs. These cron jobs could be maintained by those who care, just
like with sysv-rc scripts, as a best-effort basis.
I think this, or something like this, is the policy update the project needs.  I think this is a fine option, but does the project as a whole think so, or perhaps they do with some changes?

At the moment, my guess is most developers have no idea what the "right" (e.g. what the project as a whole believe is right) solution for this. Should I just use systemd support only? With sysvinit? If I get bug reports about lack of support for one or the other how important is it?

 - Craig

Thomas Goirand (zigo)