Re: Integration with systemd

Svante Signell <svante.signell@gmail.com> writes:
> And as said numerous times Debian maintainers don't have to create
> sysvinit scripts, they have only to _accept_ patches to add or fix
> sysvinit scripts.

Even as someone who does not really care about the init system (being a
desktop user, I use whatever is the base there): I fully support you.

I really don't get the point of the discussion here: We have several
people trying to reach their goal with Debian. There are people fighting
for reproducibility, we have people supporting cross-building,
inofficial ports etc.

And we have people that want to support several init systems.

As a maintainer, my own interest in all these topics varies, by topic
and by package; therefore my own active support varies as well. But for
every topic I see some rationale, and so the minimum support is always
to accept patches (maybe after some review and discussion if it
influences my own packaging). If this creates a bug, I would however
just forward it to the patch creator, and just revert the patch if it
doesn't get fixed.

I think the openness of our distribution for well-defined goals is one
of our big strengths, and we should keep this up. I don't see a reason
why a maintainer should not accept sysvinit patches, or crossbuilding
patches, as long as they don't interfere with the rest of the package.

Being liberal would IMO really help here, and hurt nobody.

Just my 2 cents

Ole