Re: Debian and our frenemies of containers and userland repos

On Mon, Oct 7, 2019 at 1:23 PM Johannes Schauer <josch@debian.org> wrote:

> Quoting Paul Wise (2019-10-07 03:38:55)
> > On Sun, Oct 6, 2019 at 7:23 PM Simon McVittie wrote:
> > > FYI, this is because autopkgtest has an abstraction for multiple
> > > container/virtualization mechanisms (lxc, lxd, qemu, schroot)
> > It seems like this abstraction should be split out of the autopkgtest
> > source and then depended on by autopkgtest. Do any other such
> > abstraction layers exist?
>
> I do not know of any other such abstraction layers but would warmly welcome
> them not only for the purpose of including them in sbuild.

Not sure if containerd[1] and cri[2] are such abstraction layers. They
are widely used in cloud/container area.

For containerd, it supports both container and virtualization[3] backends.

[1] https://containerd.io/
[2] https://github.com/kubernetes/community/blob/master/contributors/devel/sig-node/container-runtime-interface.md
[3] https://katacontainers.io/

--